What You Need To Know About Biostimulation & Bioaugmentation
As the only biological treatment company on the market founded and operated by wastewater engineers, Arxtera dedicates its municipal and industrial treatment process expertise to develop the most complete and innovative line of bioaugmentation and biostimulant products in the industry.
Biostimulation and bioaugmentation are two common methods used to treat contaminated water. Biostimulation refers primarily to the addition of materials to the environment to stimulate the growth of desired microorganisms. Bioaugmentation, on the other hand, involves the addition of live microorganisms to the environment. Or, in other words, “augmenting” the site with new strains and mixed cultures to combat the existence of other organisms in the water.
Both biostimulation and bioaugmentation have their own set of benefits and risks. When selecting a biostimulation or bioaugmentation solution, it is important to consider the specific needs of the site as well as the potential risks involved. This article will provide an overview of biostimulation and bioaugmentation, including their benefits and risks. It will also offer guidance on how to select the right solution for a given project.
What is biostimulation?
Biostimulation is named due to its “stimulation” effect within a water site, and it can be achieved by modifying the environment to produce a wanted result. Water can be modified using oxygen, nutrients, and other organic matter, and the goal is to promote the growth of microorganisms that treat the water and create a usable resource. Biostimulation is often used in conjunction with other remediation techniques, such as pump-and-treat or hydraulic containment. When used alone, biostimulation is most effective in environments with a high concentration of contaminants and a low concentration of desired microorganisms.
What is bioaugmentation?
On the other hand, bioaugmentation is the process of adding live microorganisms to the environment. The goal of bioaugmentation is to introduce microorganisms that can degrade the contaminants in the environment to achieve clean, treated water. Bioaugmentation’s goal is the same as Biostimulation: degrade contaminants or pollutants within an environment to create reusable water, often in industrial applications.
Benefits of biostimulation and bioaugmentation
Both biostimulation and bioaugmentation offer a number of benefits, including:
- Both techniques can be used to treat a variety of contaminants, including hydrocarbons, metals, and pesticides
- Both techniques can be used to treat contaminated groundwater, soil, and sediment
- Biostimulation is often less expensive than bioaugmentation
- Bioaugmentation can be used to treat sites that are difficult to access
- Bioaugmentation is considered a promising sustainable solution to treat wastewater
Risks associated with biostimulation and bioaugmentation
Biostimulation and bioaugmentation come with a number of risks, including:
- The amendments added to the environment will not stimulate the growth of desired microorganisms
- The live microorganisms introduced to the environment will not be able to survive and proliferate.
- Any new additions to the environment will not be able to degrade the contaminants present.
- Microorganisms added to the environment will have negative impacts on the surrounding ecosystem
Arxtera has expertise in selecting the right treatment solution for a wide variety of applications.
How to choose the right biostimulation or bioaugmentation solution
When selecting a biostimulation or bioaugmentation solution, it is important to consider the specific needs of the site. The following factors should be taken into account:
- The type of contaminant that needs to be treated
- The concentration of the contaminant
- The concentration of desired microorganisms
- The accessibility of the site
- Potential risks involved
While both bioaugmentation and biostimulation are viable treatment options, it is essential to have experts like the team at Arxtera provide the guidance and treatment solutions that will benefit your needs. The selection of the wrong treatment products or ineffective solutions can waste time and money. Rely on Arxtera to take the best next step for your water treatment solution. Contact Arxtera today for assistance in selecting your best treatment option.